Wednesday, October 13, 2010

2009-2010 Updates!

TSK TSK! A year has passed since my last blog update...and boy has it been a busy one!

The last time I wrote, we were just wrapping up the summer & Josh's softball team had won the state championship, Claire was starting to talk up a storm & I was just seeing the surgeon about my knee pain.
Fast forward a year & Josh's softball teams won their league again & he has finished another successful season! He has also started playing in a handball league this fall. I went to see his first match a few weeks ago & I was very impressed with his natural talent & inclination for the sport. He looks forward to improving & developing new relationships with the business professionals that he has had the opportunity to meet through handball. Professionally, he is wrapping up a busy season & is looking forward to a couple of months working "normal" hours like the rest of us. Deer season is just around the corner & he will make his annual trek to the UP with the men of his family for a week of deer hunting. Venison...mmm???
As far as I'm concerned, my year has been challenging, but full of personal growth. I had my first knee surgery last October & they found that my patellas were both out of alignment. I had my right knee cap realigned & after a few months of rehabilitation, I had my left knee realigned. Unfortunately my left knee continued to bother me, so I had a third knee surgery last month in which the doctor performed a tibial tubercle transfer & another patella realignment. I won't bore you with the details, but if you are curious, feel free to google. In the midst of the trials, I have been blessed in SO many ways--with family, friends, church family, neighbors, etc. all pitching in & helping me during recovery. I have had top notch medical care (my doctor is the best around... even though he is a Spartan). I hope I never take for granted walking or running (hopefully someday) without pain and am humbled by the realization of how many people suffer with chronic pain in silence everyday. Unfortunately for Josh, my suffering has not been so silent :)
Now for the rest...I'll touch on the highlights of the year & will follow this post with pictures galore! Here we go!
*October 2009: Claire's 2nd Halloween - She was a strawberry & my mom and dad were in town and helped pass out candy & take Claire to Trick or Treat. Claire LOVED ringing the doorbells and then would march right into everyone's homes. She didn't quite grasp the concept, but the candy was enough to convice her that Halloween is a fun holiday. We also went to Uncle John's Cider Mill with my folks--a great tradition!
*November 2009: We celebrated Thanksgiving with the Schanher family in Springfield and had such a wonderful time. Nana & Papa gave Claire a stuffed animal turkey which she affectionately named "Gobble Gobble." We took Claire to Springfield's "Christmas in the City" celebration & saw the lighting of the Christmas tree and enjoyed fireworks & hot cocoa.
*December 2009: Stacy & Ted bought Quinny a golden retriever puppy named Buster for Christmas from a breeder up here in Michigan. As aunty, I had the proud responsibility of picking Buster up and meeting Stacy & Ted halfway to deliver Quinn's Christmas puppy. I loved the few hours in the car with Buster & the look on Quinny's face when he saw that puppy was priceless. I LOVE BEING AN AUNT!
Josh, Claire & I celebrated Christmas here in Michigan with the Girth family. It was SO much fun & Claire loved unwrapping the gifts and thanking everyone for everything. She is such a genuine and sweet little spirit. I'm so proud of her.
*We have a new addition to the family & had a lot of fun celebrating the impending arrival of Ella Dorothy Thompson. Amanda & Drew came to Michigan for a baby shower that Kathy & I hosted in April. We had a lovely weekend & enjoyed the wonder of watching Amanda's little baby bump expand with every day of her visit.
*Claire turned 2 on May 15 & we took a Disney trip to celebrate. We also hosted a big Minnie Mouse birthday party with her neighbor friends when we got home.
*We flew to DC for Memorial Day to celebrate a second baby shower with Amanda & Drew. Claire loved DC & had a great time blowing bubbles for the guests at the party.
*We took Claire to her first (and second) Detroit Tigers game. She rode on the People Mover & ate at our favorite Greektown restaurant and enjoyed a delicous cupcake from Astoria. We of course followed the cupcake with cotton candy at the park! Never too much sugar at a ball game (sorry dad)!
*Amanda defended her dissertation & mere weeks before giving birth became a PHD! We are so proud--congrats sister!
*Seth's law firm had him sit for Kentucky's bar (he passed!) & April took a job promotion to a new hotel downtown Dayton. They added to their furry family when they welcomed home Eddie this summer--an adorable French Bulldog.
*Baby Ella was born on July 8th and we took a road trip to DC the last weekend of July to meet our precious little girl. She is just beautiful & it was SO wonderful to hold a sweet newborn again. Claire was a bit jealous & every time I held Ella she instructed me to "put that baby down on the couch, Mama." Josh & Drew took Claire to the National Zoo to help distract her and it gave me a lot of quality time with Amanda & Ella. I had the privilege of being with Ella during her first shopping trip to Nordstrom. Yes, I am very proud of this fact.
* Josh & Rick attended a Tigers game in August together & Josh caught a homerun ball & was on TV!
*My precious Papa Campbell celebrated his 90th birthday in August and we all went home to Columbus for a HUGE surprise party--it was such a special event and he loved being surrounded by his entire family.
*This past weekend, we took Claire to the Fox Theater in Detroit to see Yo Gabba Gabba Live--her first show!
This past year has also been one filled with pain and sorrow due to the loss of Josh's Granny and Granddaddy. I say loss, but truly we know they have gained so much by passing into eternity with our Heavenly Father. Their lives were testimonies to all of us. They both loved the Lord and praised Him until their last days. I am so proud to be a part of their family and look forward to teaching Claire about her Granny & Granddaddy Byrd & the legacy of love and family they have left behind.
While reflecting on this past year, I am overwhelmed with so much emotion. We've truly experienced every up & down...so much joy watching Claire grow & develop...so much sadness as we say goodbye to loved ones. Pain is a part of our life b/c of our sin. What amazing hope we have in Jesus. I'm so thankful for His ultimate sacrifice and gift of grace. I am in awe and truly lay this life down at His feet. "Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift."
As my dad always says, Keep pressing on.
With love,
Stephanie

1 comment: